How do I use nepafenac?

When nepafenac is used for cataract surgery, apply one drop three times a day on the day before surgery, the day of surgery and for two weeks following surgery. The medication should be applied at the same time every day. To apply the eye drops follow the steps below:
  • Wash your hands using soap and water
  • Shake the nepafenac container
  • Remove the cap
  • Examine the applicator tip to ensure it is not damaged
  • Tilt your head back and brace your hand against your nose and cheek
  • Hold the applicator tip close to the eye using your thumb and forefinger
  • To prevent contamination, do not let the dropper touch the surface of the eye
  • Pull the lower lid away from the eye, producing a pocket between the lower lid and the eye
  • Drop the medication into the pocket
  • Close your eye and gently hold your finger against your eye lid for two to three minutes (Do not blink.)
  • Replace the cap
  • Wipe excess medication from your cheek
Do not apply nepafenac while wearing contact lenses. Soft contacts tend to absorb the medication. Wait 15 minutes after applying the medication before putting contacts into the eye. Do not use this medication if it has changed color or contains particles. Continue to use other eye drops for eye conditions, like glaucoma, as prescribed by your doctor.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

How effective are NSAIDs at treating carpal tunnel syndrome?
NSAIDs have not been found very effective for the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. They are not r...
How does hypromellose treat dry and irritated eyes?
Hypromellose is found in many over-the-counter eye drop products and prescription medications. Its p...
How are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs used for the treatment of RA?
NSAIDs, such as aspirin, have been used for many years to treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Their mai...
Should I use Patanol if I already take allergy medication?
The active ingredient in Patanol, olopatadine, is an antihistamine. When your body is exposed to an ...