Can I give olopatadine eye drops to my child?

Olopatadine (Patanol 0.1%, Pataday 0.2%) is a type of eye drop that is used to relieve itching, redness, irritation, tearing and lid swelling (allergic conjunctivitis) caused by seasonal allergies, hay fever and pollen sensitivity. It treats eye allergies by blocking histamine, a chemical triggered by the immune system during allergic reactions.

The typical dose for children between the ages of three and 18 years if taking Patanol is one to two drops in each affected eye two times per day at an interval of six to eight hours. If the child is taking Pataday, directions are typically one drop in each affected eye once a day.

Safety and effectiveness in children below three years of age have not been established.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

How effective are NSAIDs at treating carpal tunnel syndrome?
NSAIDs have not been found very effective for the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. They are not r...
What should I know about Tobradex eye drops?
Tobradex eye drops are used to treat eye infection and inflammation by combining the antibiotic tobr...
What should I know about using nedocromil eye drops?
Nedocromil (Alocril) eye drops are used to relieve itching, watering and burning associated with all...
How do I use olopatadine eye drops?
Olopatadine (Patanol 0.1 percent, Pataday 0.2 percent) is a type of eye drop that is used to relieve...