What should I know about tropicamide before using it?

Tropicamide is a prescription eye medication that's used to dilate the pupil and to paralyze eye muscles before certain examinations or diagnostic tests. Tropicamide is a type of medication called an anticholinergic, which works by relaxing the eye muscles. When these muscles relax, the pupil widens, which allows doctors to see into the back of the eye. Tropicamide comes as a solution that's given as an eye drop. If you wear contact lenses, take them out before tropicamide is administered. The eye doctor or nurse will apply the drops shortly before the test.

Continue Learning about Opthalmological Agent

What is the difference between Zymaxid and other eye drops?
Zymaxid is a prescription antibiotic eye drop. It is only used to treat bacterial eye infections, su...
What should I know before taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs?
If you take an NSAID, you should be cautious about drinking alcohol. The risk of side effects of NS...
How effective are decongestants?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The two most common nasal decongestant sprays, oxymetazoline (Afrin) and phenylephrine (Neo-Synephri...
What should I know about cellulose eye drops before using it?
Side effects of cellulose eye drops include: temporary blurred vision, light sensitivity, eyelash st...