Should I talk to a doctor about my child's oppositional defiant disorder?

If your child shows signs of oppositional defiant disorder (ODD), it is important to have an evaluation performed by a doctor. A therapist or psychologist who specializes in treating children oversees diagnosis and treatment of ODD. Your child's pediatrician is a good place to start and can recommend child psychology specialists in your area. Early treatment is key to successful behavior modification, so talk to your doctor when behavioral problems begin to arise, especially if there is a family history of mood or substance use disorders.

Continue Learning about Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

How long does oppositional defiant disorder last?
Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is usually diagnosed early in childhood and lasts throughout lif...
What is oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
To be diagnosed with oppositional defiant disorder, a child must meet criteria spelled out in the Di...
Can I develop oppositional defiant disorder as an adult?
Generally, you cannot develop ODD as an adult. ODD is diagnosed in children by around eight years of...
Who is affected by oppositional defiant disorder?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Behavior disorders, as a category, are, by far, the most common reason for referrals to mental healt...