How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose ODD?

Proper preparation is key to speaking with your child's doctor about the diagnosis of oppositional defiant disorder (ODD). The appointment may be stressful for you and your child, and having all of the information you need at hand can help make it easier. First, make a list of your child's symptoms, including what they are and how long they have been going on. Then, add any important family information to that list, such as stressful events in the household that you think may have had an impact on your child. Be sure to write down all of your questions for the doctor so that you don't forget any of them. Finally, consider bringing a friend or family member along for support. Your pediatrician will evaluate your child and the information you provide, and then refer you to a specialist for treatment.

Richard Walsh
Social Work
Oppositional Defiant Disorder can be quite challenging for any parent or caretaker. I would suggest that you take advantage of the internet and go to a respected site such as: the Mayo Clinic to become better educated about the illness to allow you to discuss evaluation and treatment options. It is important to provide relevant information about your child's behavior. You may want to write a journal of your child's behaviors with dates, triggers, settings, etc. I compliment you for caring enough to start the process of helping your child with an evaluation.

Continue Learning about Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

How long does oppositional defiant disorder last?
Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is usually diagnosed early in childhood and lasts throughout lif...
Who is affected by oppositional defiant disorder?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Behavior disorders, as a category, are, by far, the most common reason for referrals to mental healt...
What is the rate of incidence for oppositional defiant disorder?
Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) affects boys more than girls. Some studies show that it may affe...
How do other illnesses affect oppositional defiant disorder?
Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) often occurs together with other behavioral or developmental con...