Who should not take Ultram?

You should not take Ultram (tramadol) if you are allergic, intolerant or hypersensitive to tramadol, the active ingredient in Ultram, or to other opioid medications.

Women who are breastfeeding should not take Ultram. Women who are pregnant or plan to become pregnant should not take Ultram, unless they and their doctor decide that their need for the drug outweighs its risks.

So that you and your doctor can decide if Ultram is appropriate for you, tell him or her if you have a history of any of the following:
  • alcohol or drug problems
  • having thoughts about harming or killing yourself or planning or trying to do so
  • breathing problems
  • mental illness such as depression or hallucinations 
  • lung, liver, kidney disease 
  • seizures
  • a head injury, brain tumor, stroke or any other condition that caused increased pressure inside your skull

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...