Who should not take Dilaudid?

You shouldn't take the pain medication Dilaudid if you're allergic to hydromorphone, the active ingredient in this drug, or to hydromorphone salts. Nor should you take Dilaudid if you're allergic to medications that contain sulfites. Talking to your doctor about your medical history and past use of medications will help him or her determine whether you have these drug allergies. People with severe breathing disorders such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease may not be able to take Dilaudid.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...