Who should not take ConZip?

Do not take the pain medication ConZip (tramadol) if you have any of the following:
  • allergy to tramadol or another opioid (such as codeine, oxymorphone, oxycodone or morphine) or any ingredient in ConZip
  • significant breathing problems, including severe or acute bronchial asthma and hypercapnia (too much carbon dioxide in your blood), unless you're taking ConZip in a place like a hospital where emergency resuscitation equipment is nearby
  • a history of alcoholism because you may be more susceptible to abusing ConZip, even if you no longer drink. Also, alcohol can increase the drug's depressant effect on breathing, which can be extremely dangerous.
  • suicidal tendencies, which ConZip can worsen
You also shouldn't take ConZip if you're breastfeeding or pregnant; it can be extremely dangerous to a nursing baby or a developing fetus.

ConZip is not approved for children and so is not recommended for those under age 18.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
More Answers
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
More Answers
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
More Answers
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.