When can I stop taking Fentora?

Fentora (fentanyl) is a rescue pain medicine -- you take it only if you experience an episode of cancer pain despite being on strong pain medications around the clock -- so you can stop taking it whenever you stop having breakthrough pain.

However, if you've needed to use this narcotic medication regularly for several weeks or longer, you should talk with your doctor about the best way to taper off of it. Some people may experience withdrawal symptoms if they abruptly discontinue the drug.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...