When can I stop taking Nucynta?

You can stop taking the pain medication Nucynta (tapentadol) when you no longer need it to control pain. If you want to stop taking Nucynta because it's no longer working for you, check with your doctor. He or she may change your dose or switch you to a different medication.

It's very important that you not stop taking Nucynta suddenly after using it for a long time. You could experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms, such as irritability and anxiety, nausea, vomiting and stomach cramps, chills and sweating, backache, joint pain and weakness, among others. To prevent this, your doctor will likely taper down your dose of Nucynta gradually.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...