When can I stop taking Butrans?

You can stop taking Butrans (buprenorphine) when you no longer need it for round-the-clock relief of chronic pain. Butrans is a patch that delivers a powerful opioid painkiller in a time-release fashion over seven days.

However, do not stop taking Butrans without talking with your doctor first. Suddenly stopping can cause symptoms of withdrawal. If you no longer need Butrans, your doctor will work with you to gradually reduce the amount of painkiller you are receiving. Your doctor may prescribe a different medication or set of medications to manage pain if you still need it.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...