What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?

Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:

• Tell your doctor about all the medications you take. Bring a list of the prescriptions, vitamins and herbal pills you take. This helps your doctor make sure your pain medication doesn't combine with your other medicines in a bad way.
  • Talk with your doctor about your goals for reducing your pain and functioning better. You and your doctor can make sure the medication is helping you meet these goals. If not, your doctor can try a different medication or strategy.
  • Talk with your doctor about your prescription. Ask questions. Be sure you understand what you're taking, why you're taking it and how to take it. Ask your doctor about the benefits, risks and alternatives.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...