What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?

Travis M. Hendry, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for short-term pain can cause various side effects. Your health care provider can give you details. Particularly, watch for these side effects:
  • The most common side effect is constipation. Most patients need to drink extra water and take fiber, laxatives, or stool softeners.
  • The most serious side effect is decreased breathing (also called respiratory depression), which can be deadly. Alcohol and some other medications can combine with opioids to make this problem worse. Ask those you live with to watch for decreased breathing or the inability to wake up. If this happens, they should call 911.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...