What should I do if I miss a dose of Butrans?

You may miss a dose of Butrans (buprenorphine), a patch that stays on for seven days to provide round-the-clock treatment of chronic pain, if the patch falls off. If this happens, get a new patch and attach it to your skin. Never use more than one patch at a time, unless your doctor tells you to do so. If your patch gets stuck on someone else's skin, take it off, clean the area with water (not soap or alcohol) and get medical attention for that person. Use water when you're cleaning the area of your own skin where the patch is, as well, because soap or alcohol can cause you to absorb too much of the opioid medicine in Butrans.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...