What should I do if I miss a dose of Butrans?

You may miss a dose of Butrans (buprenorphine), a patch that stays on for seven days to provide round-the-clock treatment of chronic pain, if the patch falls off. If this happens, get a new patch and attach it to your skin. Never use more than one patch at a time, unless your doctor tells you to do so. If your patch gets stuck on someone else's skin, take it off, clean the area with water (not soap or alcohol) and get medical attention for that person. Use water when you're cleaning the area of your own skin where the patch is, as well, because soap or alcohol can cause you to absorb too much of the opioid medicine in Butrans.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...