What should I know about Kadian before taking it?

Kadian is morphine, a strong painkiller, in an extended release capsule formulation. Kadian is intended for people who have become tolerant to a weaker opiate. Following your doctor's instructions for taking Kadian is a good way to avoid an overdose or physical dependence. You may wish to avoid taking Kadian if you have a history of drug addiction or believe that you may be at risk of becoming physically dependent on the drug. You should not use Kadian if you have severe asthma or paralytic ileus. Talk to your doctor before taking Kadian if you have any type of breathing disorder, liver or kidney disease, low blood pressure, gallbladder or thyroid disorder, adrenal gland disorder, history of head injury or brain tumor, seizure disorder, mental illness, prostate problems or mental illness.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...