What should I avoid while taking Fentora?

While you're taking the cancer pain medication Fentora (fentanyl), you should avoid any activity that requires you to be fully alert, such as driving or operating machinery, since the drug can make you feel drowsy and lightheaded. You should also be careful when getting up out of bed or from a chair, because Fentora can make you dizzy and faint, increasing the risk of a fall.

You should not drink alcohol while you're using Fentora, because it can dangerously intensify the drug's effects. For the same reason, you should avoid combining Fentora with sleeping pills or tranquilizers.

While you're on Fentora, you should avoid starting any new drug or supplement without first talking with your doctor, because Fentora can interact with a number of medications, potentially causing serious problems. You should avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice, because they can increase your blood level of Fentora's active ingredient, fentanyl, raising your risk of side effects or overdose.

Avoid swallowing Fentora tablets -- they won't work as well if you do. Each tablet is meant to be placed between your cheek and your gum to dissolve.

Most important is to avoid using this drug in ways that are different than your doctor prescribes. Taking more of it or taking it more often than prescribed can be life threatening.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...