What are the possible risks of taking Opana?

Because Opana is a narcotic and an opioid, it is potentially physically addictive. Take the extended-release tablets as whole tablets only; chewing Opana or consuming crushed, dissolved or broken tablets can release too much oxymorphone, the active ingredient, into your system and lead to a potentially fatal overdose. Do not mix alcohol and Opana, as the combination can be fatal. Until you know how Opana affects you, avoid driving or engaging in any potentially dangerous activity. Opana makes some people extremely drowsy.

If you are older, you may be especially sensitive to the effects and side effects of Opana. Also, certain medical issues can be complicated by Opana, including seizures, brain tumors, breathing issues, allergies, head injuries and heart, kidney, liver, intestinal and lung diseases. If you have a history of substance abuse or addiction, talk to your doctor before taking Opana. It can also be risky if you're pregnant or breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...