What is the origin of methadone?

Methadone is a synthetic opioid. Discovered by the Germans in World War II and called dolophine, it lasted much longer than morphine and was used to rid the wounded of their pain. In 1947, the Eli-Lilly company purchased it and named it methadone. In 1964, it started being used to stabilize people detoxifying from heroin. In 1970, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulated methadone as a treatment for opioid addiction. In 2001, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) took over the role of regulating methadone as a treatment method. In 2005, both methadone and buprenorphine were named on a model list of essential medicines by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...