What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?

If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acting opioid medication to relieve pain so that you can continue to work and enjoy life. Options include fentanyl (Duragesic patch), oxycodone (OxyContin), and morphine (Kadian, MS Contin, others). Your doctor will most likely start you at the lowest dose possible and then gradually increase the dosage until you find the level that provides pain relief. The most common side effect of such long-acting opioid formulations is constipation, which can be relieved with stool softeners or laxatives.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...