What is Onsolis?

Onsolis (fentanyl) is a strong pain medicine prescribed for people with cancer. A kind of narcotic, it's given to people who take another narcotic medication around the clock for their pain but have episodes of severe pain anyway. It comes in a film that you put on the inside of your cheek; the medication is released as the film dissolves.

Doctors prescribe Onsolis only for people 18 and older who have already developed a tolerance for this type of pain medicine -- it can be dangerous for anyone else.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...