What is morphine sustained release?

Morphine sustained release is the generic name for an opioid pain reliever (analgesic) sold under multiple brand names in the United States. This narcotic pain reliever is used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain and acts by changing the brain's perception of pain. It is available by prescription only. Depending on the medication, the sustained release morphine is usually taken every 12 or 24 hours instead of every four hours for the immediate release form and is used when pain relief is needed "around the clock." Morphine sustained release keeps the level of medication relatively stable for 12 or 24 hours and is available in tablet or capsule form. Brand names for morphine sustained release include: Avinza, MS Contin, Oramorph SR and Kadian.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...