What should I know about ConZip before taking it?

ConZip (tramadol) is a slow-release narcotic pain reliever that contains an entire day's worth of medication in a single tablet that's taken once a day. It comes with a number of warnings:
  • ConZip can trigger seizures, particularly in people with a history of them. Use ConZip with extreme caution if you have epilepsy or are otherwise at risk for seizure.
  • ConZip may cause suicide risk in people who are depressed, suffer from emotional disturbance or are prone to addiction. Also vulnerable are people who drink heavily or use other medications that, like ConZip, lower the activity of the central nervous system. These drugs include many antidepressants, tranquilizers and other narcotic painkillers.
  • ConZip can cause an excessive increase in the body's level of the brain chemical serotonin, triggering side effects that range from nausea, vomiting and diarrhea to dramatic blood-pressure changes, very high fever, coma and death. The risk may be greater if you take ConZip with other drugs that raise serotonin levels.
  • ConZip is risky to use if you have had a head injury or any condition that increases the level of fluid pressure in your brain. ConZip can make the condition worse.
  • Drinking can heighten ConZip's side effects. Don't use alcohol while taking ConZip.
  • You may experience withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking ConZip if you don't slowly taper your dose. These symptoms include sweating, goose bumps, insomnia, anxiety, chills, pain, nausea, tremors, diarrhea, hallucinations and upper respiratory problems.
Don't take ConZip if you're allergic to tramadol or any other ingredient in ConZip. There are reports of people having serious allergic reactions to it. You also shouldn't take ConZip if you have acute or severe bronchial asthma or other serious lung problems, as ConZip can dangerously interfere with breathing in people with these conditions.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...