What should I know about MS Contin before taking it?

MS Contin (morphine) is an opioid pain reliever used to treat moderate to severe chronic pain, such as that caused by cancer. It has the potential to cause addiction, so it's considered a controlled substance. For this reason, a doctor must assess a patient's risk for becoming dependent on the drug or abusing it and monitor high-risk patients intensively for signs of addiction or abuse while they are taking MS Contin. In fact, anyone taking MS Contin should be monitored regularly for signs of abuse and addiction.

MS Contin is not used to treat acute pain, nor is it prescribed for patients who have breathing problems or conditions such as asthma.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...