What should I know about MS Contin before taking it?

MS Contin (morphine) is an opioid pain reliever used to treat moderate to severe chronic pain, such as that caused by cancer. It has the potential to cause addiction, so it's considered a controlled substance. For this reason, a doctor must assess a patient's risk for becoming dependent on the drug or abusing it and monitor high-risk patients intensively for signs of addiction or abuse while they are taking MS Contin. In fact, anyone taking MS Contin should be monitored regularly for signs of abuse and addiction.

MS Contin is not used to treat acute pain, nor is it prescribed for patients who have breathing problems or conditions such as asthma.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...