What should I know about codeine before taking it?

Before taking Codeine, you should know about the potential for tolerance and addiction. As a narcotic, Codeine can lead to physical dependence and withdrawal symptoms that should be managed in a medical facility. Codeine may also cause drowsiness so avoid using any heavy machinery, including driving a car, when using Codeine . Alcohol and other medications like depressants may increase the sense of drowsiness and should be avoided. Codeine may contain sulfites which can lead to allergic reactions for some people. If you have any head injuries or abdominal, liver, or thyroid conditions, consult your doctor before taking Codeine .

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...