What should I know before taking opioids?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for other drugs you might be taking. Your doctor should also talk to you about how to measure how well the drug is controlling your pain, side effects, and when and how you will stop taking it. A follow-up appointment should be scheduled for 1 to 2 weeks after you start taking the drug.

If you take an opioid, you should not drink alcohol. Mixing alcohol and opioids can cause a fatal overdose. If you take methadone, you should avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.

If you have had gastrointestinal surgery in the past few months, an opioid may not be a good option for you.

If you have a seizure disorder (epilepsy), aspirin-sensitive asthma, or chronic lung disease, opioids can lead to serious side effects.

If you have an abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia), hypothyroidism, impaired kidney function, impaired liver function, or primary adrenocortical insufficiency (Addison disease), an opioid may not be a good option for you.

Because of their potential for abuse and dependence, opioids are not a good option for people who have had a substance use problem, or for people with psychiatric conditions, such as depression.

An opioid may not be a good option for you if you are pregnant, may be pregnant, or are planning a pregnancy. It is not known if they are safe for pregnant women.

Some opioids may not be safe or effective for children and adolescents. Consult individual drug labels.

If you are breastfeeding, an opioid may not be a good option for you.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...