What is Opana?

Opana, a prescription medication with the active ingredient oxymorphone, is a narcotic painkiller that treats chronic pain on a consistent basis over a long period. It is available in an immediate release tablet and an extended release tablet. Follow your doctor's directions when taking Opana.

Because Opana is an opioid, it can become physically addictive unless patients are monitored by a doctor. In most cases, the benefits of Opana outweigh the risk of dependence. Opana should not be used immediately following surgery.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...