What is morphine sulfate?

Morphine sulfate is the generic name for an opioid pain reliever (analgesic) sold under multiple brand names in the United States. This narcotic pain reliever is used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain and acts by changing the brain's perception of pain. Morphine sulfate is a prescription drug, available in a short-acting form to be used whenever needed for pain relief, or in an extended (sustained or controlled) release form. Morphine sulfate can be injected, taken by tablet or capsule, or used in a suppository. Brand names for morphine sulfate include Avinza, Kadian, Morphine IR, MS Contin, MSIR, Oramorph SR, and Roxanol.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
What are opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...