What is morphine sulfate?

Morphine sulfate is the generic name for an opioid pain reliever (analgesic) sold under multiple brand names in the United States. This narcotic pain reliever is used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain and acts by changing the brain's perception of pain. Morphine sulfate is a prescription drug, available in a short-acting form to be used whenever needed for pain relief, or in an extended (sustained or controlled) release form. Morphine sulfate can be injected, taken by tablet or capsule, or used in a suppository. Brand names for morphine sulfate include Avinza, Kadian, Morphine IR, MS Contin, MSIR, Oramorph SR, and Roxanol.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...