What is Kadian?

Kadian is an extended-release form of the narcotic morphine intended for people with chronic pain. It is taken every day to maintain a constant blood level of morphine. It is not for breakthrough pain, not to be taken as needed. Morphine works to change the perception of pain by the central nervous system (CNS). It has characteristics similar to those of other opiates, including the potential for abuse. Nausea is a potential early side effect.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...