What is Kadian?

Kadian is an extended-release form of the narcotic morphine intended for people with chronic pain. It is taken every day to maintain a constant blood level of morphine. It is not for breakthrough pain, not to be taken as needed. Morphine works to change the perception of pain by the central nervous system (CNS). It has characteristics similar to those of other opiates, including the potential for abuse. Nausea is a potential early side effect.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...