What is hydromorphone?

The prescription drug hydromorphone is a narcotic analgesic prescribed for the relief of moderate to severe pain caused by a number of different conditions or injuries. Hydromorphone is available in tablet, oral liquid, suppository and injectable forms. Two to four milligrams are typically administered every four to six hours. Hydromorphone is marketed under the brand names Dilaudid, Dilaudid-HP and Exalgo.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...