What is fentanyl buccal tablet?

Fentanyl buccal tablet (sold under the brand name Fentora) is a small tablet that contains the drug fentanyl. It is an opioid pain reliever, related to meperidine (Demerol), used to manage breakthrough pain in people with cancer. This is a potent medication that is given only to people who are already taking another opioid medication and are tolerant of opioid drugs. These small tablets are placed on the inside cheek area above a rear molar tooth where it dissolves. The tablet should not be swallowed or chewed. The active ingredient, fentanyl, is absorbed into the body through the mucous membranes of the mouth. Fentanyl buccal tablet should be prescribed only by those skilled in the administration of medications for persistent cancer pain.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...