What is fentanyl buccal tablet?

Fentanyl buccal tablet (sold under the brand name Fentora) is a small tablet that contains the drug fentanyl. It is an opioid pain reliever, related to meperidine (Demerol), used to manage breakthrough pain in people with cancer. This is a potent medication that is given only to people who are already taking another opioid medication and are tolerant of opioid drugs. These small tablets are placed on the inside cheek area above a rear molar tooth where it dissolves. The tablet should not be swallowed or chewed. The active ingredient, fentanyl, is absorbed into the body through the mucous membranes of the mouth. Fentanyl buccal tablet should be prescribed only by those skilled in the administration of medications for persistent cancer pain.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...