What is Exalgo?

Exalgo (hydromorphone extended release) is a prescription pain reliever related to morphine. It is used by patients who are experiencing moderate to severe, persistent pain (e.g., cancer, surgery, trauma, burn). It works by altering the way your brain feels and reacts to pain. Exalgo is formulated into an extended release tablet which must be swallowed whole to avoid a fatal overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...