What is Duragesic?

Duragesic is the brand name of a narcotic skin patch that contains the active ingredient fentanyl. It is intended for people with chronic pain that is not manageable by other pain medications. The Duragesic patch is worn on the skin for a maximum of 72 hours. During this time, fentanyl is absorbed through the skin at a steady rate. Fentanyl works by binding to receptor molecules to block the perception of pain.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...