What is Duragesic?

Duragesic is the brand name of a narcotic skin patch that contains the active ingredient fentanyl. It is intended for people with chronic pain that is not manageable by other pain medications. The Duragesic patch is worn on the skin for a maximum of 72 hours. During this time, fentanyl is absorbed through the skin at a steady rate. Fentanyl works by binding to receptor molecules to block the perception of pain.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...