What is Dilaudid?

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) is a medication that doctors prescribe to treat moderate to severe pain. Doctors may prescribe Dilaudid for other health problems, such as coughing. Dilaudid belongs to a class of medications called opioid analgesics. Dilaudid comes in the form of a tablet or liquid. This medication may be habit forming, so take it exactly as your doctor instructs you to.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...