What is DepoDur?

DepoDur (morphine sulfate extended-release liposome) is injected before surgery or directly after clamping the umbilical cord after a caesarean section to relieve pain for up to 48 hours. DepoDur is part of a group of medications called narcotic analgesics. Its main ingredient, morphine sulfate, affects the central nervous system (CNS) and other organs that contain smooth muscle. It can relieve pain in the body while allowing someone to access their motor skills and senses. This medication is only available through prescription and is given through an epidural. An epidural is performed by a trained professional and involves administrating medicine through a needle or catheter in the lumbar part of the back (the section that corresponds to the abdominal section in the front of the body). Your doctor can help you decide if an injection of DepoDur is a beneficial form of pain relief for your major surgery.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...