What is Alfenta?

Alfenta is a prescription medication that's used as an anesthetic or analgesic for people undergoing surgery. It may be used alone or along with other anesthetics, depending on the individual's situation. Alfenta is often used as an analgesic to treat pain during procedures that require assisted breathing through endotracheal intubation (a tube that goes through your throat) and mechanical ventilation. Alfenta works by dulling pain and reducing sensation in general so that you don't feel the effects of surgery. Alfenta is given intravenously as an injection done by a healthcare professional in a hospital setting. Your doctor will determine the correct dosage for you based on your body weight, medical condition, and the type of surgical procedure you're having. Talk to your doctor if you have questions about taking Alfenta.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...