What is Alfenta?

Alfenta is a prescription medication that's used as an anesthetic or analgesic for people undergoing surgery. It may be used alone or along with other anesthetics, depending on the individual's situation. Alfenta is often used as an analgesic to treat pain during procedures that require assisted breathing through endotracheal intubation (a tube that goes through your throat) and mechanical ventilation. Alfenta works by dulling pain and reducing sensation in general so that you don't feel the effects of surgery. Alfenta is given intravenously as an injection done by a healthcare professional in a hospital setting. Your doctor will determine the correct dosage for you based on your body weight, medical condition, and the type of surgical procedure you're having. Talk to your doctor if you have questions about taking Alfenta.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...