What is Actiq?

Actiq (fentanyl) is a synthetic opiate prescribed to treat breakthrough pain in cancer patients who are already taking other opiate-type drugs for pain. It's a lozenge on a stick that is absorbed through the mucus membranes in the mouth, providing quick pain relief. Actiq is a powerful drug with potentially serious, even fatal, side effects, and so people who use it are monitored very closely by medical professionals.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...