What is the most important information I should know about Opana ER?

Before taking Opana ER, you should know that breaking, crushing, dissolving, chewing or otherwise consuming the tablet in any way other than as a whole tablet, may result in the release of a fatal dose of oxymorphone. Combining Opana with any form of alcohol or sedatives like muscle relaxants or sleep aids can also cause a fatal overdose.

Do not take Opana ER with food. Rather, take Opana ER one hour or more before eating and two hours or more after. Avoid driving until you know how Opana ER affects you, as it may make you drowsy and impair your ability to concentrate.

Opana ER is a controlled substance that may lead to addiction or misuse if intake is not monitored properly, so a doctor will always regulate your use and dosage. Only take the prescribed amount of Opana ER for the recommended length of time.

Be careful of the medications and foods that interact with this drug, as adverse reactions can cause serious side effects. Tell your doctor if you have the medical issues that may be complicated by Opana ER, including seizure, brain tumors, a history of substance abuse or addiction, a history of mental illness or heart, kidney, liver, intestinal or lung disease.

Tell your doctor if you have pancreatic disease or an adrenal gland disorder such as Addison's disease. Tell your doctor if you have scoliosis, intestinal disease, urinary disorders, an enlarged prostate, epilepsy or seizures, brain tumors, a past head injury or breathing problems, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), sleep apnea or asthma.

Tell your doctor if you have any drug or food allergies, particularly any allergies to narcotic medications.

Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not take Opana ER, unless the benefits to the woman clearly outweigh the risks to the fetus.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...