What is the most important information I should know about Opana?

Do not combine Opana (oxymorphone) with any form of alcohol because the combination can be fatal. Take Opana one hour or more before eating and two hours or more after eating. The extended release form of Opana should be taken as a whole tablet. Breaking, crushing, dissolving, chewing or consuming Opana in any way other than as a whole pill may result in the release of a fatal overdose of oxymorphone.  

Opana is a controlled substance. If you misuse Opana, you risk becoming addicted to it. Because of this, a doctor regulates your use and dosage.

To avoid serious side effects, tell your doctor if you have medical issues that can be complicated by Opana, such as seizures, brain tumors, a history of addiction, breathing issues, allergies and heart, kidney, liver, intestinal and lung disease. Before taking Opana, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Depending on your pain condition, alternatives to opioid pain medication can include: Non-opioid...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...