What happens if I miss a dose of fentanyl?

If you use fentanyl as a skin patch and you forget to apply it or change it at the appropriate time, simply apply the patch as soon as you remember it. Follow the instructions of your doctor about the length of time to wear each patch. Remember to remove the old patch before applying a new one. Never use more than one patch at a time unless instructed to do so by your doctor. If you use fentanyl in the tablet, lozenge or ingestible film form, the drug is only to be used as needed and not on a regular dosing schedule.  There may be limitations on how many doses you may use at once and how long you may go between doses.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...