Is there a generic version of Subutex?

The generic version of Subutex is buprenorphine, which is available from several manufacturers. Subutex is prescribed to adults who are addicted to opioid drugs, including heroin and narcotic painkillers like morphine, to help them break their dependence. It works by attaching to opioid receptors in the brain, which prevents the abused drugs from hooking on and having an effect.

Subutex and its generic versions are available as tablets that melt when you put them under your tongue. They're available in two doses, 2 milligrams (mg) and 8 mg.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...