What foods and alcohol interact with Fentora?

Fentora (fentanyl) can interact with a long list of drugs and supplements. If you are prescribed Fentora as a rescue medicine for treating breakthrough cancer pain, it is critical that you tell your doctor everything you are taking. Your doctor will especially watch for drugs that treat infections, depression, nausea and blood pressure, since these can increase your blood level of Fentora's active ingredient, fentanyl, raising your risk of side effects and of an overdose. Grapefruit and grapefruit juice do the same thing, so you should avoid them. Alcohol also increases the risk of serious side effects -- you shouldn't drink when taking this medication.

Some of the drugs you may need to avoid -- or which may prompt your doctor to adjust your Fentora dose -- include:
  • buprenorphine
  • butorphanol
  • carbamazepine
  • isocarboxazid
  • nalbuphine
  • naloxone
  • nalmefene
  • pentazocine
  • phenelzine
  • phenytoin
  • rifabutin
  • rifampin isocarboxazid
  • selegiline
  • St. John's wort
  • tranylcypromine

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...