What is Fentora?

Fentora (fentanyl) is prescribed to treat sudden bouts of pain in cancer patients who are already taking strong pain medications around the clock. It provides quick relief, usually starting in five minutes. Fentora comes in the form of a buccal tablet -- a pill that gets tucked above a back upper molar, between the cheek and gum, where it should completely dissolve within a half hour.

Fentora is an opioid or narcotic pain reliever, similar to morphine. It can cause serious side effects, including trouble breathing, addiction and overdose. Because of the drug's dangers, the Food and Drug Administration closely monitors its safe use with a program called the Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy. Only doctors and pharmacies enrolled in the program, which provides special training and certification in the use of Fentora, can prescribe and dispense the medication.

Fentora is not a pain medicine intended to be used by itself for problems like headache, backache or post-surgical pain. Because of its potency, this medication is given only to people already taking another opioid medication who have built up a tolerance for narcotic pain medications. The risk of a fatal overdose is especially high for anyone else.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...