What does the ER in Kadian ER mean?

The ER in Kadian ER indicates that it is an extended-release medication. Morphine, the active ingredient in this medication, is released slowly over 12 or 24 hours, depending on how it is prescribed. Kadian is meant to provide continuous relief of moderate to severe pain in adults who require around-the-clock pain treatment for an extended period of time.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...