What side effects of morphine controlled release should I report?

Taking morphine controlled release may cause a variety of side effects. Tell your doctor about any that become serious and persistent. Contact your doctor immediately if you develop any of the following:
  • breathing difficulty
  • changes in skin color (your skin turns blue or purple, for example)
  • rapid or slow heartbeat
  • seizures
  • hallucinations (you see or hear things that do not exist)
  • vision problems
  • fainting
  • hives, rash, itchiness or other skin problems
  • tightness in your throat or difficulty swallowing
  • swollen arms, hands, feet, ankles or lower legs
These effects may linger even after stopping the controlled release dosage form of the medication.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...