What is the difference between Nucynta and Nucynta ER?

The pain medication Nucynta (tapentadol) treats short-term pain such as what you might experience just after surgery. Each dose lasts four to six hours. Nucynta ER (extended-release tapentadol) is designed to treat continuous pain from, say, cancer or a severe back problem, over a long time period. Each dose lasts 12 hours. Make sure you follow the directions for the specific type of pill you're taking. Nucynta ER is formulated to release its active ingredient slowly, over a long period of time. That makes it more potent than Nucynta; it can harm you if you don't follow your doctor's instructions carefully. Swallow each pill whole: If you crush, chew or dissolve Nucynta ER, you could wind up with the entire day's supply in your system at once, which could cause a fatal overdose.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...