What is codeine used for?

Codeine is a narcotic derived from morphine that is used as an analgesic to treat moderate pain. Codeine acts on the brain and nervous system to reduce pain but if used over an extended period of time, may become addictive requiring higher doses for effectiveness. Codeine is usually injected under the skin by a medical professional.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...