What is Butrans?

Butrans is a narcotic pain reliever. It comes as a patch that you place on your skin. The active ingredient is buprenorphine, a synthetic opiate that delivers round-the-clock pain relief for seven days. Butrans is often used for the treatment of chronic pain in people with moderate to severe arthritis and other conditions, including cancer.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...