What should I avoid while taking Exalgo?

While taking Exalgo (hydromorphone), do not:
  • drink alcohol or take any medication (over-the-counter or prescription) that contains alcohol. Both Exalgo, which is a powerful pain medication derived from morphine, and alcohol affect the central nervous system. Together they can interact to bring about a drop in blood pressure, extreme drowsiness and dangerously slow breathing, which ultimately could lead to coma and even death.
  • get behind the wheel of a car or operate heavy machinery until you know how Exalgo affects you. It can make you too sleepy to be able to safely drive or do anything that requires you to be totally alert.
  • take the once-daily tablet on an empty stomach, which may result in nausea.
  • veer away from your doctor's instructions. Take the drug exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Otherwise you risk serious side effects that can be life-threatening.
  • stop taking the medication suddenly. Doing so can cause withdrawal symptoms, including sweating, chills, muscle and joint pain, weakness, and anxiety and irritability. Your doctor will work with you to gradually wean you off the drug.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...