What should I avoid while taking Actiq?

If you're taking the pain medication Actiq (fentanyl) to treat breakthrough cancer pain, you should avoid grapefruit, grapefruit juice and alcohol, all of which can increase the risk of very serious side effects from the active ingredient in Actiq, fentanyl. Do not breastfeed while taking Actiq; fentanyl passes into breast milk and can affect a nursing baby.

There are certain medications to avoid while taking Actiq. In particular, you should not take an MAO inhibitor, a type of antidepressant, while on Actiq, nor should you start to take Actiq until at least 14 days after using an MAO inhibitor. Give your doctor a complete list of every single prescription and nonprescription medication you take so that he or she can check for potential interactions. Be sure to include supplements on that list.

Actiq is a quick-acting synthetic opiate for the treatment of breakthrough pain in cancer patients who are already being treated with opiate-type pain medication. It's a lozenge that's held in the mouth (it comes on a stick) until it dissolves and can bring relief within minutes. Actiq can have serious side effects and has caused death in children who used lozenges intended for adults, so you should make sure that you follow instructions carefully and keep Actiq away from children.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...