What are the side effects of fentanyl citrate?

Common side effects of fentanyl citrate include nausea, stomach pain, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, gas, heartburn or indigestion, loss of appetite, difficulty urinating, weakness, headache, depression, hallucinations, difficulty going to sleep or staying asleep, dry mouth, sweating, uncontrollable shaking, back pain, and itching. For the tablet, lozenge, and film forms of fentanyl, additional side effects may include drowsiness, weight loss, vision changes, anxiety, unusual thinking or dreams, flushing, chest pain, rash, and swelling of the hands, arms, feet, ankles, or legs.

Additionally, there may be pain, irritation, and even sores in the area of your mouth where you placed the drug. For the skin patch form of fentanyl citrate, additional side effects include mood changes, nervousness, confusion, memory problems, dizziness, and hiccups. There may also be pain, burning, tingling, numbness of the hands and feet, and skin irritation, swelling, itching, and redness at the site where you placed the patch on your skin. If any of the following side effects occur while using any form of the drug, call your doctor immediately or call 911:

-slow, shallow breathing
-heartbeat that is slower or faster than normal
-extreme drowsiness
-dizziness
-fainting
-confusion
-seizures
-chest pain
-rash
-coughing up blood

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
    Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
    Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
    What are side effects of opioid medication?
    Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
    In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...
    Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
    Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
    What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
    Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...