What are the side effects of fentanyl citrate?

Common side effects of fentanyl citrate include nausea, stomach pain, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, gas, heartburn or indigestion, loss of appetite, difficulty urinating, weakness, headache, depression, hallucinations, difficulty going to sleep or staying asleep, dry mouth, sweating, uncontrollable shaking, back pain, and itching. For the tablet, lozenge, and film forms of fentanyl, additional side effects may include drowsiness, weight loss, vision changes, anxiety, unusual thinking or dreams, flushing, chest pain, rash, and swelling of the hands, arms, feet, ankles, or legs.

Additionally, there may be pain, irritation, and even sores in the area of your mouth where you placed the drug. For the skin patch form of fentanyl citrate, additional side effects include mood changes, nervousness, confusion, memory problems, dizziness, and hiccups. There may also be pain, burning, tingling, numbness of the hands and feet, and skin irritation, swelling, itching, and redness at the site where you placed the patch on your skin. If any of the following side effects occur while using any form of the drug, call your doctor immediately or call 911:

-slow, shallow breathing
-heartbeat that is slower or faster than normal
-extreme drowsiness
-dizziness
-fainting
-confusion
-seizures
-chest pain
-rash
-coughing up blood

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
    Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
    Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
    How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
    Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
    Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...
    What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
    Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
    Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
    How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
    The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
    The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...